(a) Scope and application.
(1) This section shall apply to all employers engaged in the laboratory use of hazardous chemicals as defined below.
(2) Where this section applies, it shall supersede, for laboratories, the requirements of Title 8 of the California Code of Regulations Section 5190 and Article 110, RegulatedCarcinogens of the General Industry Safety Orders, except as follows:
(A) The requirement to limit employee exposure to the specific exposure limit.
(B) When that particular regulation states otherwise, as in
the case of Section 5209(c)(6).
(C) Prohibition or prevention of eye and skin contact where specified by any health regulation shall be observed.
(D) Where the action level (or in the absence of an action level, the exposure limit) is exceeded for a regulated substance with exposure monitoring and medical surveillance requirements.
(E) The “report of use” requirements of Article 110, (Section 5200 et. seq.) Regulated Carcinogens regulations.
(F) Section 5217 shall apply to anatomy, histology and pathology laboratories.
(3) This regulation shall not apply to:
(A) Uses of hazardous chemicals which do not meet the definition of laboratory use, and in such cases, the employer shall comply with the relevant regulations in Title 8, California Code of Regulations, even is such use occurs in a laboratory.
(B) Laboratory uses of hazardous chemicals which provide no potential for employee exposure. Examples of such conditions might include:
1. Procedures using chemically-impregnated test media such as Dip-and-Read tests where a reagent strip is dipped into the specimen to be tested and the results are interpreted by comparing the color reaction to a color chart supplied by the manufacturer of the test strip; and
2. Commercially prepared kits such as those used in performing pregnancy tests in which all of the reagents needed to conduct the test are contained in the kit.
We bring you Occupational Safety and Health compliance assistance and behavior-based training services. As experienced management consultants, All Purpose Safety Training Solutions, LLC personnel assist the management of client companies to achieve multi-agency compliance needs and regulatory issues organizational objectives and establish work-training policies. Custom designs and implements a wide variety of safety and health programs for industry and the community.